Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can anyone advise me ?I’ve Lost drive to back wheels without any warning

Gibbbo

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's possible and possibly probable(!) that the centre machining is just to locate and the weld is only intended to be at the edge for a certain depth in.  Right in the middle there will be no heat from friction, a bit like an instantaneous centre of revolution.

I definitely don't think it's a one-off bodge job, but a failure of the welding process somehow.

With a weld only 1/3 of the radius from the outside diameter, a shaft would still have 80% of the torque transmission capability of a shaft that was welded for the full radius (due to strain from torque being proportional to the 4th power of diameter), so a material problem such as the lack of proper heat treatment or weld contamination would be more likely, than an issue with the depth of the weld.

In terms of inherent design related time bombs Geoff, I think the big one that is almost a certainty is that there are hundreds of R400D Duratec engines that will have inlet valve spring failure at some point. It depends on what the time period the specific valve spring and cam combo was used as in my 2012 car, to the number affected and how much high rev use the car has seen (all 8 of my inlet valve springs had broken at about 10,000km of track use, 40,000km total use, with the fatal double break of one spring).