Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear lift points with a lowered floor?

Glynh

I'm struggling to work out where best to position the rear lift pads on my car lift. I have a 360 SV and because of the lowered floor there's very little width at the sides of the protruding floor. I need to get full access to the rear suspension components, can I position lift pads onto the lowered floor just in front of the trailing edge or will it buckle? 

I lift mine on the diff (after putting the wheels on some 2"x9" so I can get the jack under) then position the stands under the rearmost chassis tube that runs behind / parallel to the fuel tank. These are positioned as far out as they'll go. My S3 has some square plates with holes in at the outer edges and I get the stands as close to these as possible.

Being an SV it'll be a bit heavier/wider so just watch the tube as the weight goes (slowly) onto the stands. If you feel / see it arcing up too much then stop. 

Ian

I have lowered floors and lift the car on a quicklift hydraulic lift.  I have made some 19mm marine ply rubber coated boards with cutouts for seat bolts and crotch harness bolts.  These sit on top of quicklift (rubber side to floor) and spread the load over the majority of the area of the lowered floor.  At least 2 square foot each side.

Works well and is solid, no movement.

Colin

• Leadership Team

A lowered floor has the outer edge riveted to the chassis tube with the rivets entering horizontally, unlike a standard floor where the rivets enter vertically from below. Both floor types have the rivets entering horizontally at the base of the rear bulkhead.  

If a standard-floored car is suspended as per the photo at Caterham Gatwick, the lifting force is directly on the chassis tube. With a lowered floor, due to the panel/rivet arrangement the weight of the car at the lifting point will be taken on rivets that are in "sheer", in my mind that would be poor practice but that's a decision down to the person doing the lifting.

Stu.