Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Uprated CRB failure

Sandy

Hi Guys,

I did Michael Calverts Blat Chat CRB upgrade to my K series SLR back in 2010 and just had the gearbox out after it developed a whistle. The CRB is shot so has failed after 20k miles

I can easily but another item from Burton Power but before I do, I wondered if anyone else had replaced and if so did they source anything else?

Many thanks

#1  Sorry to hear that.  What did the CRB look like after failure? 

...Michael Calverts Blat Chat CRB upgrade...

Can you elaborate?  What did the upgrade involve? 

As mentioned in my Guide (see #2), a pre-load applied to the CRB is essential to prevent premature failure.  And provided that is done, the standard INA (or SKF alternative) CRB will last for thousands of miles.

JV

Hi John,

Michaels CRB upgrade involves a replacement bearing (Burton Power HD3260) and a modified carrier to suit 

I've also done your spring upgrades and have the later strengthened clutch arm which was further modified and strengthened

On a recent Blat my gearbox developed an whistle which was intermittently present with clutch in and out, idle and under load.

It didn't sound like any prev CRB failures I had ever heard (on other cars) but on removal last night the CRB is raspy when spinning and there is slight play

This has lasted 10 years and 20k miles and not the end of the world as the g'box has a small leak so I will get a refresh and the engine is also due if I can find someone that can do it anytime soon. Oh and the rear main needs doing again