Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BDR Stat housing which way up does the gasket go?

anthonym

BDR Stat housing which way up does the gasket go?

also i found the remains of a thermostat in there, looks like it was filling the space around the edge of the housing designed for it; do we need it?

one side is convex the other concave - anthony

yertiz:

out of a Burton kitStathouse.jpg.935affb5aac2100a10c2da6fa9c96064.jpg

out of a Burton engine gasket kit.

I put the same question to AI ChatGPT and here's the response:

When installing a gasket in a BDR (Blowdown Reservoir) Stat housing, the orientation of the gasket is usually indicated by the manufacturer or the design of the housing. Generally, the gasket should be placed with its flat side against the mating surface of the housing, ensuring a proper seal and preventing any leaks.

and then asked for this response:

In most vehicles, the mating surface for a car gasket on the thermostat housing is typically the surface where the thermostat housing comes into contact with the engine block or cylinder head.

Stathouse.jpg.d4971e46754110e1be1df2afb707ead9.jpg

As usual, or so it seems to me, ChatGPT contributed nothing of value. It always seems to me like asking a drunk bloke down the pub. It'll always give you an answer, probably waffle on at great length, even if it hasn't a clue. The problem is ... if had definitively told you to do it one way and that wasn't correct, would you have done it?