Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma Coolant Temperature - What is too Low?

TheArchitect

Cruising on the motorway I've noticed the coolant temperature seems to be sitting below the 80deg mark probably at high 60 - low 70degC. Thinking this may be a little low, I don't have an oil temp gauge etc so not able to keep an eye on that separately.

Too low or are they all like that?

2007 SV 1.6 Roadsport 140

Since fixing mine, it does still very occasionally drop to low to mid 70s, but very quickly returns to 80ish again. 

I really don't know what else I can do, or whether I should even try, this might just be a trait of some Sigma engines. A number of thermostats in, complete coolant flush (twice) as I lost everything when I changed the last thermostat, new temp sender, checked water pump, pulleys and aux belt (fine), check for leaks (none), bled and re-bled system. 

I did have an issue with thermostats sticking from what I believe was radiator sealant in my system to start with, but my symptoms greatly reduced after the above noted work. 

The occasional drop to low to mid 70s, assuming it's on winding up again after a spell of easy cruising, isn't uncommon and shouldn't be an issue. As said, it should recover to 80 after a short while. 

If it's staying in the 70s on a steady cruise it would, IMO, indicate a stat issue.