Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ford 4 speed box - speedo drive leak

Gridgway

Now I have my crossflow back together and so nearly finished, one untoward thing I have found is that the speedo drive from the 4 speed Ford box is leaking quite a lot.  To the extent that it needs attending to.  It was the one thing I didn't want to have to do with the refresh I've done - ie pull the engine and box out again - hey ho.

Does anyone have experience of speedo drive leaks on this box and what might need replacing to stop it?

Thanks Graham

Graham, is this the arrangement you have?

IMG_2477.JPG.1370be7937363d7b8f8f44ffd269cf37.JPG

It may be possible to undo the bolt holding the forked clamp and then get things out without removing the engine/box.  The housing (aluminium on mine) has a small oil seal inside for the drive gear spindle and an O-ring on the outer diameter

"It may be possible to undo the bolt holding the forked clamp and then get things out without removing the engine/box."

On this type of Seven can you create more space by slackening the gearbox mount (and possibly the engine mounts) and yanking the tail of the box across?

Jonathan

Thanks both.  JK - worth a look, but access will be tight.

Andrew, it's not that box I think as it has the gear lever further back and the access cover is horizontal, not at an angle.  Also has an integral bellhousing.  I'll work out which box it is.