Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Insurance - too good to be true?????

MikeE

I've insured my Superlight with Eggar Lawson for the past year for £315. It's now renewal time so yesterday I give them a call. They quote me at..........£285, down by 10% (surely this isn't normal practice for an insurance company *confused*).

So this was a pleasant surprise but, one thing I don't like about my current EL policy is the limitation to Caterham/L7 club trackdays only or pay £25/day for 'reputable trackday companies' (e.g BookaTrack).

So I'm all proud of myself and I tell the girlfriend, but she insists I call around as I might get a better deal (there's me thing yeah right!). So as instructed by the GF today I give Adrian Flux a call on the off chance they might be competitive, I explain the situation and say I'd really like unlimited track cover (as if!) and surprise surprise they come back with a quote of £256 including cover for an unlimited number of UK trackdays (with any organiser). The covers provided by IBEX and includes:

1. 3,000 miles per year (5,000 would be an extra £50),

2. £200 excess (rising to £2,000 for trackdays),

3. 90 days green card,

4. Legal protection,

5. Car covered whilst being trailered.

So does this sound too good to be true 🤔 Does anyone have experience of this policy 🤔

cheers,

Mike.

But isn't the Eggar cover limited to £500 excess on track days? £2000 could hurt in more ways than one.

I agree that there is little logic in distinguishing between L7 Club approved events and other recognised track day suppliers.

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

I've got my 1.6 Supersport 2002 with Eggar Lawson. It's limited to 5000mls and without using any no claims bonus I paid £192 (which includes uninsured loss cover) last month to re-insure it, this was down 20% over last year.

Goes without saying I was well pleased.............should point out I've just hit the dreaded 5...0 and have also been driving high performance road cars for over 12yrs without a claim, but taking all that into account I'm still well pleased as they say!

Phil

Try calling MSM Insurance also. Chances are you will get their BT anas phone as they are busy, but they WILL get back ASAP. Great people to deal with, although I do not have track cover I am sure they do it. To give you some idea , my 1.8K 140 BHP roadsport(new factory build 6 month ago), cost me £300 approx fully comp, for my first year as a caterham owner,(due to my inexperience every one else wanted to load me thru the roof), on 5K a year. I have now uppped it to unlimited for a paltry £58 *smile*. So they will always do a deal. In my case no one else could touch them on price, and recommended by other owners! Tel 01279 870535, hope this helps Rob.

Flux sux

I would wait and see if you actually get the documentation through ! , I had my certificate after 10 months !! and I never recieved written confirmation of my trackday cover .

This was despite reapeated attempts , phone , letter etc etc .

I'm now with Osbornes

dave

Would agree with Dave re actually getting the documents. Just got mine after 8 months of updated 'cover notes'. See thread on 'chat' concerning my anger that my high insurance for unlimited mileage/parked on the street in Balham policy has not been reduced despite moving out of London and getting a garage.

😬35,000 miles in 19 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

Thanks chaps. I must say I have found them good value in central london, many won't insure unless it's garaged. Paperwork follows quickly and certficate as well. I will keep an eye on them following other members experiences. The real test is when you have to make a claim I suppose!

After 12 trouble free years with ASFlux, the last two have been a right shambles. I think that every now and then they reorganise and get in a right pickle. The only reason we are still with them is because the customer complaints manager was very, very apologetic.

*biggrin* 100,016 *biggrin*miles so far

I was with AF and had the most appalling time. They were a complete shower in almost every respect. I bought a ploicy with track day cover on the phone and there was no mention of it in the docs, so I phoned and they denied I had asked for it. I read them copious contemporaneous notes of the phone call and they relented. They had to get another insurer though. Then wanted me to pay extra, then forgot to tell me (until after I had done three track days) that I needed a cover note (no payment) for each day, then tried to put a price on each individual day part way through, then tried to put up the track day excess, then tried to take away track day cover part way through.

The two good points were that they had a fantastic (as in efficient) woman incharge of customers complaining whom I got on with very well (ditto). The second was that when someone rear-ended me at some lights who wasn't insured, the claim and repair process was first class.

They tried to get the last laugh when they tried to put my premium up from about £450 to £2000 on renewal. I took the hint and went elsewhere!

YMMV

Graham