Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Avon ZZS tread depth

Stu Smith

Slight high jack but, I've put fronts to rear etc due to very worn tyres and inside edge wearing on the front. So im in desperate need of new tyres 195 50 15. I do not want to put zzs back on due to price and limited availability in the near future. 
Has anyone with Orca wheels used 888r Toyo and was there any fit issues with the front wing stays on the 15s.

Off to a supplier tomorrow and hoping the Toyo fit and also they are ok to remove them should there be an issue. Caterham have been no help at all as they could not supply zzs when I asked. Plus the price has jumped since the demise was announced. 

Tyre specs give the two brands the same width but fingers crossed unless someone knows for sure. 

That'll be some good research Peter and a result,  if the Toyo's work .

Perhaps one consideration is that the ZZS were specially constructed for the Sevens (am i right with this ?) , ie a very lightweight  car/ correct amount of sidewall flex etc. 

But when the supply dries up , we do need alternatives.      Plus as you say prices have leapt. 

Has anyone got wind of a supplier who's going to  replace the CSR sizes for a more road biased tyre? Thankfully I've got a set of ZZSs on a new set of wheels in storage while I use up my CR500s (8 years old but still soft). 
Are Avon stopping production of the tyre completely or just moving it to a different factory/abroad?

#28 I asked the Avon trackside team at Thruxton on Saturday the same question. They said that the  Melksham plant is not for sale, they are all out of a job and ZZS/ZZR will disappear from the marketplace by end of the year. 

Nakang AR1s are the only full set of tyres available in the CSR 15" but I don't much like the look of them for wet road driving. I'm not a fan of mixed brands on the car either. I'm no racing driver but I feel more confident with a full set of the same tyres behaving the same. 

#29 I wonder what Caterham will be putting on their ew 420r's when all the stock is gone...

I think they'll kick the can down the road for a while by buying up the Avon stock (possibly already done a deal which is one reason prices are going up) and then fit Toyos. 

Good news : The 888r went on today and the fit was perfect, very slightly wider at the shoulders but still within the clearance of the wing stays. 
Car obviously feels much better with new rubber on as the old tyres were really on the last knocking. 
A good chunk of change saved also. 

• 2 weeks later...

Caterham and Williams were testing R88Rs yesterday at Castle Combe now they've been selected for the race series.

After a hot day on track, my car now has 5mm on the (new) ZZS rears and 4mm/3mm on the (old) ZZS fronts (depending if you measure the outside or inside of the tread). I just hope the all need changing at the same time so I can change all four to R888Rs when the time comes. I guess it depends if the uneven wear on the fronts due to the camber causes it to fail MOT or prematurely hit the wear indicators on the inside first.