Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Auto shut off

Stu Smith

I have the opposite issue, I can't ever get the dam things to stop triggering.    It takes ages to fill up and you can never be sure when it's full, as it clicks off all the time.   Eventually it overflows and then you know . . . .    Is this common also ?

Thanks

I carry around a suitable funnel in a carry bag just incase I get caught short of fuel. Generally when its empty I stick 20litres in and its almost full. Haven't got around to taking the flap out the filler neck yet. Would make life a hell of a lot easier. 

Is there a writeup or a couple of pictures somewhere to walk me through it?

A curious issue.The 'autostop' on a pump nozzle is triggered by the end of the nozzle being immersed in fuel (it covers a small tube that runs inside the main delivery tube which is constantly 'sucking'. As soon as it is unable to 'suck' it shuts off the valve in the handle). The fact that you can overflow the fuel tank filler pipe without fully covering the whole nozzle tip would suggest that maybe the nozzle tip isn't in far enough, or is too horizontal so that fuel can flow back and out underneath the nozzle, or something else that is preventing the nozzle from being immersed. 

As with others - I always have the other problem and have to find the right position to prevent it auto-stopping constantly. 

Quick update 

Went out last night for a quick blat. Filled up at the same local Shell station I've always used. Once the nozzle was inserted fully I pushed it towards the front of the car keeping it a little more vertical, hey presto 1st time ever the auto shut off clicked off *woohoo*

Thanks all..