Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New rear caliper - K series?

finmac

Have hardly used the car and took it out today - one of the rear calipers is binding a little. Removed the pads and cleaned them up which improved things but still not 100%. Reckon I may need a caliper?

What car do they normally originate from and Best place to purchase same please? 

It's a 2006 R300 K

rigid lines - sadly! Piston is stuck solid and the face of it is quite corroded. New caliper beckons defo.

Another question - will the spring holding the handbrake mechanism take off when I loosen the 10mm holding down bolt - what's the trick with swoping the handbrake cable from one caliper to the other please? 

Slacken the handbrake adjuster fully on the cable, then unhook it each end. Turn pistons clockwise and push hard to wind them fully home. Refit calipers and pads, ensuring pimples sit at 12-3-6-9 o'clock and thus seat in the slots on the pistons. Don't touch the handbrake lever or adjuster until you have pressed hard on the brake pedal a few times to operate the self adjusters inside pistons.

It can be really tough to get piston rotating with the wind back tool. Sometimes need a long spanner on the hex shaft of the tool. Are you sure it's not just this ? Never be tempted to try turning it anti-clockwise !! *eek*

Big thumbs up for Big red from me too 

Had the front Girling calipers refurbed by them for £200 including painting them yellow to match the nose cone and they did a really superb job for my 30 year old K series 1400 Supersport.

Planning to get them to do the rear calipers this winter - not much more expensive than getting new ones - originals are off a Sierra I believe

It is also important to replace the brake fluid every 2-3 years, as it absorbs water from the air. This sinks to the lowest point, which is of course the calipers, where is causes problems if it boils under heavy braking, and it corrodes steel parts. Easy job to bleed new fluid though until you see the colour change. Start with the furthest caliper.