Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Black wheel nuts

Bert320

Marginally, as they are shorter due to being open ended - a feature I was keen on so I could see they were on fully.

The early ford hub cars (mine is 1998) had short studs where the threads only engaged 5 turns. The engineering acceptability of this was debated on the forum many years ago and the general consensus was it was borderline.

At some point in production (early 2000s ????) a longer stud was introduced by Caterham. I retro fitted them.

An FYI for new members!! 5 turns to tighten then you have the short studs.

Ian

• Leadership Team

For what it's worth, Motorsport UK's  definition of safe engagement of wheel nuts is that they must be "in thread contact over a minimum length of 1.5 bolt/stud diameters". 

(Guess who got pulled up on this when I was slightly borderline a few years ago...)

• Leadership Team

For 12mm studs the minimum length would therefore be 18mm, definitely more than the 7.5mm that would be achieved with 5 turns of 1.5mm pitch threads!  The Elise parts nuts are 25mm long *thumbs_up_thumb*

Haha, I had heard stories about English drivers and their "special" interests, oh, you meant my titanium nuts?

I don't want to upset the purists out there but they are from a Chev.  I got them from the good ol US of A,via ebay. Cost to me was $87 dollars plus post to Australia for 20 nuts, 5 per wheel for Chev.  I figured 12 x 1.5 with a 60 degree seat was right for my Caterham, what could go wrong, in fact nothing did.  They fit like they were made for the Caterham.

I could quite easily cut these in half for my fitment, the last 1/2 inch is just to allow a socket to grip them in deep dish wheels. Inside the last half inch is a rubber seal to keep crap out of the threads.

The first thing you notice is how light they really are, my first thought was the thread will just pull out!20230714_075245.thumb.jpg.b49b2a408d8ed84ac37739b13a7b2003.jpg 20230714_075155.thumb.jpg.2547974a965b310873a82b88742ec466.jpg 20230714_075140.thumb.jpg.799807b4f15d4443b0d1464e62a6e6a4.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I think I bought those exact ones for my 2005 CSR. They were about 5mm too long for me and had a recess where the stud wasn’t long enough. Found some 20mm tall ones (like my old set) which fitted perfectly.

But you may have the longer wheels studs so they will probably work out fine.