Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track rod rubber boot rubbing on new front disc

Jetto

New front brake discs and hub upgrade kit installed however my LH track rod end rubber boot contacts the disc to the point that it’s hard to rotate backwards. RH side is very close but at least has paper thin clearance. Anyone experienced this and have ideas on how to overcome the LH side clash?

The old discs that came off were very worn so I guess that’s why I never noticed the issue before.

Cheers

3507FECA-F6D8-43C5-B166-011D3E64A7A3.thumb.jpeg.5b306810031430001a580de3b0ec20d2.jpeg BF3CC9B6-1BB7-4E59-8C41-F9236C292997.thumb.jpeg.36e1dd0b3e4d71d6bdef7742a47e1475.jpeg ​​​​​

Yeah I've got the spacers on the stub axles on both sides.

I've also got a single washer between the steering arm and the upright to take up the gap where they bolt to one another which I believe is standard and was like that before I took it apart 

I've recently had exactly the same problem, had a small amount of clearance on both sides when the car was jacked up and suspension in full droop, but rubber boot fouled on RHS when suspension was in the loaded position. Very close on other side but a slight gap.  I ended up fitting a second thin spacer between upright and rear bearing on both sides which sorted it (they are approx 1.5mm thick). Instructions I had with the hub upgrade kit said to fit one or two thin spacers as required but of course only two were supplied but a friend had a couple of spares.  I found with the second spacer fitted the disc also centralised more accurately in the calliper but I did have to use a slightly smaller diameter split pin to lock the castelled nut due to it not quite lining up with the holes in the stub axle.