Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Nylon Race Washers - Talk to me about them.

Tazio

28 minutes ago, ScottR400D said:

Odd that the bush would tear when the whole thing goes solid with the race washers in, James, though I guess your use is as tough as it gets. The metal washer solution probably wouldn’t last long at all in your case.

The race washers were being hammered after even one track day, Peter. I would then get more than expected movement. After not changing the race washers I managed to tear a bush after about 10 track days. I then used the Powerflex bush kit instead, but it started moving in the deDion housing and fretted the polyurethane and tore the Powerflex nylon limit washers until they fell out. I’ve now done about 20 track days with the spherical bush with my own interference cups holding it in place, with no issues.

One thing to bear in mind though is that I’ve used Pirelli and Hoosier slicks on the car in the past and now use 235mm wide AR-1 tyres with 2.7 degrees of rear camber, that give a lot of lateral rear grip, so I’m hammering that bush more than most people in rapid transition turns, which the tracks I use have quite a few of.

Edited by aerobod - near CYYC

1 hour ago, aerobod - near CYYC said:

The race washers were being hammered after even one track day, Peter. I would then get more than expected movement. After not changing the race washers I managed to tear a bush after about 10 track days. I then used the Powerflex bush kit instead, but it started moving in the deDion housing and fretted the polyurethane and tore the Powerflex nylon limit washers until they fell out. I’ve now done about 20 track days with the spherical bush with my own interference cups holding it in place, with no issues.

One thing to bear in mind though is that I’ve used Pirelli and Hoosier slicks on the car in the past and now use 235mm wide AR-1 tyres with 2.7 degrees of rear camber, that give a lot of lateral rear grip, so I’m hammering that bush more than most people in rapid transition turns, which the tracks I use have quite a few of.

The slicks will certainly load things up a lot. 

13 hours ago, ScottR400D said:

Another thing occurs to me is that if the metal washer was the correct way to go, why not just make the A frame ends 1mm longer? 

That's a very good question, to which I have no answer!

I suspect my demands on the car are really quite gentle now (100% road).

JV