Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Started motor issue. K series.

Peter G

Ok, next problem!

The starter on my 2000 K series has a strange problem, not the infamous K Click. It will sometimes just click when pressing the starter button, then go on the next press. Or sometimes as today refuse to turn over at all. But If I put it into 2nd gear and rock it,  it'll start straight away. I'm intending to remove it, clean terminals and earths all round and lubricate the (I think its called) bendix mechanism as I suspect it's this that might be causing the problems. 

Any opinions on this course of action or any other things I should look out for or do?

TIA

• Area Representative

Common problems are fractionally loose terminal nuts, corroded terminals or a gunged up bendix drive.

Have owned two K series cars & the symptoms echo what I found.

The 'K click' is a totally different symptom which has been well worn out on here.

You've got several suggestions already: I recommend starting (!) with a very open mind about the cause.

I'd start by measuring the battery voltage at rest, minimum during cranking, and at 3.000 rpm.

Then inspecting the relevant wires (including the engine earth) and connections, and cleaning all of the connections as you say.

Jonathan

"Common problems... a gunged up bendix drive."

My first road-legal car was a Morris Minor with a dodgy Bendix drive. I used to keep a wrench under the bonnet to turn it to a happier position.

What can be done with modern starters... clean and lubricate while it's in place, or does it have to come out?

Thanks

Jonathan

Thanks for all the comments. I've not had the relay mod done and its been doing this on and off for years. Definitely going to look at all the above and if it's still a bit iffy get the relay mod done. The starter is 23 years old so probably needs  bit of love and attention.

• Area Representative

If it happens when engine is hot then relay mod will be your cure. Strangely I have had a similar problem with cold starts that has been getting worse. Took the starter (also 23 years old) apart and cleaned it but no better. Had an auto electrical company look at it and they declared it ok. Cleaned every contact and replaced some cables and bought a new battery but still no improvement. Borrowed a starter off one of the other LADS and immediately it turned engine over much quicker. Problem gone. I guess after 23 years my starter was just "tired". 

The issue I had with my 96 K-series sounds very similar.   On the starter solenoid the terminal on to which the switch wire is attached is soldered onto the post that exits the solenoid.   This soldiered joint had failed leaving just the interference fit between the two items to allow an electrical circuit, hence the intermittent issue. Hope this makes sense and Good luck - Andy