Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Flat Floor

AlastairA

Apologies in advance for perhaps a stupid question:

My car went through the post-build check at CC Gatwick and I was told that it was flat floored (I was asked to let them know my weight). On doing an inspection this afternoon, I noticed that the front chassis member (running side to side under the nose cone) is lower on the driver's side than the passenger side. I would have assumed that, in an unloaded condition, the reverse should be true.

What am I missing?

Hi Alistair

Did they provide you with a set up sheet after it was checked etc? If so there should be ride height information so you can check the height on a level surface.

Best wishes PGM

My car was factory built (2years ago)  and I was never asked my weight, I did ask them about flat floor and corner weighting and they said that they are not set up for it, so I took it to Boss racing and had it done by Rob, it takes about 2-3 hours and you can watch him do it and you get a proper print out sheet so you can refer back to if you need to check it's still correct, he can set it up for track, road or any where inbetween.

My set up from the factory was well out on everything.

Back in 2020 CC recommended that I have them flat floor my 7 during the first service (the one where you pay them to find out all the bits they hadn't assembled properly the first time around).

I told them I weighed 82kg fully booted and spurred. The invoice showed they used 82kg as my weight. The alignment sheet, however, showed that for some reason they actually used 89kg as my weight. The service manager had no explanation for the discrepancy.

The car was a completely different animal on the drive home. Far more planted, turned in much better, generally much more confidence inspiring. For me it was yet another indication of just how little care or effort CC gave to my car when they built it.

How many people are driving around in new 7s but have decided that they don't need to get their cars flat floored and so have no idea just how wonderful their cars can be to drive?

MattB