Click here if you are having website access problems ×

k series click

gavingraysonr300

hi all i went to start the car after a few weeks and its just clicking not turning over, i did the Kseries click mod years ago and can't remember why you do it ? just wondering if the relay could have gone and needs a new one or the starter motor has gone ive checked all connections and all seams fine. Also where do you get the relay from just any accessory shop. thanks for any help.

Good advice above.

1 There are multiple causes. 

2 Check all of the relevant wiring and connections. Battery, starter, earths including engine earths. Inspect, wiggle, disconnect, clean, reconnect.

3 Measure the battery voltage at rest. minimum during cranking, and at 3,000 rpm if you can get it started.

4 What type of battery? And if it is the sort that can be topped up check the fluid levels.

Jonathan

• Area Representative

In this case Starter Motor is usually suspect.

Before removal check that all the terminals on the motor are tight. Some are attached by screws/bolts into the body & shake loose.

IMO the 'K Srs click' is a fault caused by the Starter Motor not generally anything else. The bypass mod is curing only a symptom. Fitting a heat shield is the way forward.

One can disagree but after two K Srs cars it has always been heat degradation of the Starter Motor that caused the dreaded click.

To help isolate the problem, make up a fly lead with a connector on one end to go to the solenoid replacing the wire from the relay (not the main feed to the starter).

Then touch the other end to the +ve of the battery and see if the starter cranks or still just clicks.  That is bypassing your k-starter relay mod and ruling it (plus the relay in the MFRU) in or out.

If you still get the click, either the battery is poor or the solenoid in the starter has suffered the heat degradation as described in # 5 above.  Get the battery tested and replace if duff.  If not duff, get the starter (solenoid) rebuilt.  As recommended to me Burghfield Starters near Reading are very good if you are over that way.

• Area Representative

Gavin. If I understand correctly from your questions on Facebook the solenoid is clicking rapidly when you try to start. If so this is the solenoid going in and out but not enough current to turn the starter. Did you try jump leads? Did it start? If so definitely battery.