Click here if you are having website access problems ×

C20XE Oil pressure / sender / warning...

SPA

Hi.  I have a 97 2.0 vx inj owned since new when I built it. Thought I new what I had by now but I've realised I'm confused by the oil pressure gauge/warning light set-up...  It's all original and it has a oil gauge with electric sender (that has been changed once since new), and it also has an oil warning light - I think.  I say think as I am not 100% whether that or a 'management' light?  Can anyone shed some light?

If oil warning as suspected - from where does this measure?  Do I have an oil switch in addition to the sender for the gauge?  I certainly can't see one.  The original caterham wiring diagram is not clear to me in that it seems to differ between the vx inj and carb'd version; with only the carb version indicating an oil sender...

I come to be looking at this since a recent development where I had a good gauge reading (albeit slightly higher than the car normally runs), along with an intermittent warning light. Hoping this is a dicky sender rather than something more serious.

Any guidance welcome!

Do you have the wiring diagrams for both carbs and injection?  I can send you the versions that I have to see if they are any clearer. 

Yes, it should have both an oil pressure gauge and a warning light:

Screenshot2023-06-03at15_16_22.thumb.png.ae087c0a6dfc5a4c4fb19c19f344cb75.png

What colour is the signal wire that's connected to the sender?

What I haven't found is a diagram of the engine loom for injected Vauxhalls...

Jonathan

From dim and distant memory .....

the oem sender on the engine when fitted to the Vauxhall tintop had two push on connectors. One fed an oil pressure gauge and the other (I assume) fed a warning light. Does your sender have two connectors?

As an aside, I'd strongly recommend fitting a non electric gauge. They're so much more reassuring

I do.  They are the original hard copies I was given, and the injected one is a bit blurry (and that's putting aside my eyes deteriorating over the last 23 yrs!).  But the key to the diagram lists the components as you have identified.  So you would expect the light switch is supplying the gauge and the light?  Seems odd? If I pull the wire off the sender when the engine is running the gauge drops back as expected, but the light stays off; that suggests to me the warning light is measuring from elsewhere?

Hi ECR.  No, the sender has only one connector...

Appreciate the comment about a mechanical gauge.  Have seen that repeated many times.  Though I've also seen a line of thought suggesting that if not tracking the car, then there are benefits to minimizing the amount of connectors / hose, and not having oil piped into the cockpit...

All of the following is from the factory diagrams for injected VX cars.

The oil pressure warning light is connected to the switch by a Black/Yellow wire. (Presumably the circuit is completed through the switch body to earth.) The connections at the lamp are Black/Yellow and Green. This circuit does not run through the multiway connector from the engine loom.

The sender to the oil pressure gauge is connected by a White/Brown wire to the multiway connector that joins the engine loom and the main loom. (Presumably the circuit is completed through the sender body to earth.)  And another White/Brown wire runs from the connector to the gauge.

Jonathan

Hi ECR

No - light is in middle of dash.  (And doesn't feature in the Caterham build manual).  It ignites when ignition is on but engine not running.  When it was intermittently illuminating the engine revs were not low.

Jonathan has helpfully provided some diagrams, but the challenge still seems to be identifying the location of an oil pressure switch that is connected to the warning light.