Click here if you are having website access problems ×

the defenders of Iraq drive...

moomin

just saw a funny thing on Newsnight - well as funny as images of war can be - the commentator said 'these are the defenders of Iraq' as a bunch of nutbars drove past wafting guns and chanting that thing they chant... in a knackered old red Nissan Cherry 😬

made I chuckle anyway.

Moom.

www.megabird.co.uk

😬

One of my favourites was the doctor near Basra who was interviewed in his office which was dominated by a large picture odf Saddam.

He told the interviewer that as far as he was concerned Saddam was his president and when pushed by the questioner said the only way the picture would be taken down would be by force.

At which point the British Officer calmly climbed up on the office chair and took the picture down.

I think Sky News has taken a rather sarcastic view of it all. Being a 24 hour news service they of course have shown the Iraqi Information Minister live during his daily news briefing, including when he proposed that the Republican Guard had driven the Yanks out of the airport and that the Americans were not 'touring' Southern Baghdad but instead the Western suburbs surrounding the airport.

Late in the evening they showed a recut version of speech. Rather amusingly it was intersperced with clips from the day. So when the Information Minister suggested Iraq was bombarding the Yanks with missiles and heavy artilery, they'd cut to the clip of a clapped out car driving between the tanks into a central reservation. When he suggested the Yanks ran away, they cut to a clip from the top of a Bradly, the operator firing and reloading.

Sorry. They're towing a boat behind a bus at the moment, live on the telly outside Basra. Hmmm.

Where was I, yes. There have been plenty of sarcastic quotes from the Sky News team that have made me chuckle. Musn't really laugh ☹️. Nice to see smiling faces in Basra though *thumbup*.

Peardrop

The IIM was grinning yesterday when he was talking about there being no tanks in Baghdad (er, apart from that one over there you mean), I am sure he knows the game is up.

Mrs Noger and I cannot watch Rageh Omar anymore, after having heard someone on R4 doing a Scooby Doo "Oh, Ok Rageh" impression of him. It cracks us up at a time when we really shouldn't be laughing.

That Iraqi Minister is apparently to be employed by the BBC to replace Sally Traffic.

"There is no traffic on the M25. Yes it is rush hour but those that say it is congested are liars. They will be burned to death in their cars. We drive as normal, no traffic."

I want to hire MSS as my PA. 'Of course he is working, he is working 10 hours a day on piles of papers and is very very busy. He is working like a snake through the papers sent by the infidels. He will call you as soon as he can.'

Mind you, I liked the quote from the Iraqi ambassador to the Arab League (the only organisation to make the Bikesheds look mature). 'Iraq is victorious, except for a few technicalities.' One of them being, presumably, that they've lost....