Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyres..........Again

John W

Dear All

I am about to change tyres. I currently have 185/60x14 Michellin Pilot SX which are as hard as hell and although reasonably good, crap as compared to some other examples on the market. I was looking towards changing for Avon CR 500's.

The problem is that these tyres are for general road use and I am told that Avon do not make these tyres (CR500) for x14 rims and I do not want to buy 13inch rims.

My other alternative was for 185/60 or 195/50 Yoko AVS Sport (the road radius is very nearly the same) but again I am told that these are now not made, the new Yoko equivalent is the A539.

So here is the question, what is the best general road use tyre that I hould I get for 6j x 14 inch wheels? Is the new Yoko A539 any good?

Thanks in anticipation

John

48's Mark, but yes, they are pretty good - see in depth personal opinion in recent tyre threads!

If you are moving from Pilots - like we did - i would gladly recomend Yoko 21's, 32's or 48's - all from G Polley. Ring them and discuss merits or each - they are usuakky happy to discuss requirements, and how you use your car etc.

😬35,000 miles in 19 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

Edited by - angus&tessa on 8 Apr 2003 00:08:59

I don't know that this is correct, but I believe you need to check that the tryes that you fit are suitable for the ears that you have fitted.

Cheers Rupe

Click here p21 to see pics of my 7 on a Sri Lankan beach *cool*

John, I just went through the same process as yourself, and swapped from AVON ZV1 185/60 HR14 to Yoko A048R, have only done a few miles so far but very impressed, changes the whole character of the car so well worth doing. I got these from George Polley £66 +VAT each plus £10 delivery (next day for all four).

One point to note is that at the moment they cannot get hold of 185/60 14's (and they don't know when they are likely to get any more) but do have stock of 195/60 14's. Like Angus I went for these and am very pleased, however I have cycle wings and they are very tight against the stays. I used a bit of manual adjustment (read large hammer) to alter the wing stays enough to stop the tyres rubbing.

I don't do very many miles so was happy to put up with the reported tyre wear (3-4000 miles).

Good luck.

Graham.

R7 GPK