Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil capacity 1800 Roger King Supersprint Plus with oil cooler?

madmaninshed

Hi, It's rubber glove time! I'm about to do an engine oil change, and have not done so before on a crossflow with oil cooler.  I can measure the amount of oil that comes out, but was it correct in the first place? For old oil removal, is there a different procedure with a cooler please, or is it just a case of removing the sump plug, and waiting a while, then changing the filter please? Does anyone know the correct capacity with cooler, and are the dipsticks usually accurate? Thanks for any help.

Assuming standard wet sump then as a starting point a normal crossflow fill is 3.3 litres. The oil cooler will add to this. As would a remote filter and non-standard sump. If the cooler is in it's normal location (rear of rad' pre 87 and front of rad' post 87) then the pipes are routed upwards from the cooler and it won't self drain. Both filter and cooler should be pre-filled. After initial fill I'd turn the engine over without plugs to ensure its circulating and the pressure is up, then run it hot and check it on the dipstick. The best crossflow I've driven was one of Roger's 1800s, hopefully he'll be along to add as needed

Rob

Thank you Rob,that's really informative. I would have got it all wrong. The oil cooler is in front of the radiator, as the car is an '89. The performance, and flexibility of the engine is amazing. I was very surprised. We can't easily register modern Caterhams over here in France, so it has to be over 30 years old, and registered as a car of collection, unless you are very wealthy. After Brexit, importing is also now very expensive, so this is likely to be my last one, and it is one of my favourites.