Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil temperature

JeWe

Cruising at 100 mph oil temperature increases to 120 and oil pressure drops slightly.

Sigma engine, what is the maximum recommended oil temperature and the best way to reduce this, see that no oil coolers are readily available.

My 310R Sigma has a heat exchanger which I believe uses the coolant to warm the oil after a cold-start and also to help reduce the maximum oil temperature. I think it is a Motul product. There is some info here: https://premierpowerengines.com/ford-mototorsport-heat-exchangers/

I did a track day last year on the hottest day of the year and the water temp and oil pressure were exactly as normal.

Oil is 5W30 fully synthetic, water temperature is normal, sensor is in the sump.

As soon as the revs drop oil temperature starts reducing, other thing we noticed is that the fuel consumption increases considerably, i. e. from 30mpg to 20mpg.

If you only occasionally go up to that speed and don't stay long, then you are ok.  If you plan on driving that hard regularly or for any extended period, fit an oil cooler.

Sevens are as aerodynamic as brick wall.  The amount of engine power to overcome wind resistance climbs exponentially after 60 mph.  This is why your mileage plummets and your oil temps rise.  In contrast, my Lotus Europa purrs along at 90 mph with hardly any throttle required.