Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petty Strut Boss Thread Size (Metric Chassis)

moorsd123

Hi All,

Just fitting a Petty Strut to my R400D (Metric Chassis), and all seems to have gone well finding the boss etc, however....

I was under the impression the thread size on the boss in the Chassis was 7/16 UNF regardless of Chassis type, but this doesn't appear to be the case as a 7/16 UNF bolt is too big?

Does anyone know the correct thread side, the id of the boss is coming out at around 7.9mm give or take?

That's probably why the boss turned out to be M10 thread then!! *banghead*

There was no way the 7/16 UNF tap was going in the hole, so tried metric and the M10 worked after cutting the first few threads (obviously damaged them trying to get the 7/16 in!).

So for anyone doing this in future it appears the boss on the metric chassis is M10x1.5 thread (I'm going to use an M10x30 bolt. Mine is a 2008 R400D for reference.

The next challenge will be lining up the Petty Strut to the mounting holes, as a "dry fit" looks like the chassis mounting hole is about 5mm off center, so guess I'll have to loosen the roll bar bolts to get some additional play...grrrr!!!

"The next challenge will be lining up the Petty Strut to the mounting holes, as a "dry fit" looks like the chassis mounting hole is about 5mm off center, so guess I'll have to loosen the roll bar bolts to get some additional play...grrrr!!!"

Is that lateral... if the roll bar is nicely positioned already could you pack the strut with washers?

Jonathan

Yep...that's exactly the issue I have!! *banghead*

Obviously another case of great "British Engineering". I'll see how I get on with loosening the roll bar bolts, but may decide to open up the bottom mount hole in the strut a bit to make fitting easier in future!