Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nylon race washers for A frame help

JP

I was hoping to build up my rear suspension today, only to find that the nylon race washers that fit either side of the A-frame bush are not in any of the fixings packs that I have.

Can anyone suggest somewhere where I might be able to get some today - or does anybody within sensible driving distance of Richmond / Twickenham area have any that they would be willing to sell to me...please....

They are between the deDion and A-frame, either side of the rubber part of the bushing, extending out between the A-frame cups and bushing mount hole in the deDion. When the suspension is fully loaded, they act as a limit stop between the deDion and A-frame when the bushing deflects, to prevent metal-to-metal contact.

If the car is used with high grip tyres on the track, the washers don't last very long, I typically only got a few track days out of a pair before they needed replacing, last year I replaced the bushing with a spherical joint to eliminate the need for the washers.

Thank you everyone - #2, John thank you for your kind offer, but, unless I can get some today, I'll just order some on Tuesday.  I'm just going to build up my rear suspension today loosely without them and slot them in during the week or next weekend once they arrive.  Thank you for your kind offer.

I could get these today through amazon, but whilst they are 30mm OD they are M20.  Would that leave too much movement around the metal centre of the A-frame bush?  Alternatively they do a M18 one, but that has an OD of 27mm?

Edit: I've just measured the bush and A-frame flat end that abuts the bush.  The inner tube of the bush is 17.5mm OD.  The width of the A-frame end that could contact the De Dion is 26mm:

20230409_105004.thumb.jpg.97b7472b6e55fb4d6e2b97f34d6f44b2.jpg

Thank you for the information, now I know. 

So that leads to the next question, would there be any advantage in making my own from  say, Graphite impregnated nylon, perhaps a bit thicker or should i just measure the gap in my car and add  0.005"?

I'm just trying to find something a bit more longer lasting if they wear so quickly.

Dave

In case it is of any interest, here is a pic of the nylon spacers from Amazon in situ.  They are M18 (so a good fit around the bush tube) x 27mmOD (so a little smaller than the CC version).  But these are not £1.50 EACH!

20230409_183856.thumb.jpg.98fe6dc0f478e01edbe58921e8dc929a.jpg

#12 - thank you, but this isn't a new build - I'm rebuilding my 1999 Caterham, which relies on me knowing what to order in advance..unfortunately...

I might upgrade my rear hubs.  It will be ironic if those come with the nylon spacers!

Re #14 - Alastair, you will get a bit of a "clang" if the washer has worn through and you fully load the suspension in a corner. A worse outcome though is that the bush tears due to excess movement. You will know when that happens as just shaking the car from side to side will cause a banging sound. You may also feel the excess movement as a bit of an extra twitch in the steering.