Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering column upper to lower joint (CSR)

BenF

Great news Ben!

Trident at Silverstone are ace aren't they! I needed a 5/16 3-3/4" cap head for the pushrod to lower wishbone bolt, couldn't find them anywhere, phoned Trident "Yeah, got them in stock, they've got a 2" shank, is that ok?" Ha!

Gotta support local, so easy to just do it all online now isn't it.

Ah right, makes sense.

Went for a blat yesterday but aborted because I'd presumably not done the grub screw up tight enough, as the play had reappeared.  Reassembled now and moved to a fresh part of the column and with the grub screw and locknut tightened some more, seems better and Loctite'd in place, just want to get a paint marker to mark the position of all the bolts and then will try again. 

The problem with tightening the grubscrew then the lock nut is the later actually slackens the grubscrew as it pulls it up and the slight clearance in the thread is sufficient to expose the problem you are encountering.....

I tend to back off the 2 bolts very slightly, do the grubscrew and lock nut then re tighten the bolts this adds a little preload and prevent slackening, and it does still slide upon impact as I have proved in the past !