Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

THINK - One way valve

prs

Having recently fitted an Apollo system I was rather concerned with the delay that occurs to establish oil pressure on start up, several secounds.

I therefore decided to fit a flap valve to hold the oil back in the Apollo tank under vacuum pressure - works a treat, now got instant pressure.

The point of all this......THINK did me a good deal, like 25% off the whole lot, the flap valve the two connectors to fit the valve in line on the braided hose.

All in with the VAT and P&P it came to £62 - not bad for peace of mind!

Phil *thumbup*

Mark, apparently Caterham say it's a cost thing. I would have thought buying the bulk that they would the price would be acceptable, maybe £245ish instead of £200 for the complete kit. There seem to be a lot of people that upgrade with this valve afterwards.

Personally I think Caterham should modify the kit to include the valve, I'm sure it would still sell.

Phil

It may be because there's not a lot of mark up in it for them.

Think auto have just confirmed that the price of £62 (all in) represents a 50% discount !!!

The retail price of the flap valve alone is £80+

At £62 it seems rude not to...

Dan J

I must confess that I didn't look that closely at the invoice, was just so pleased to get it at that price that I went straight out to the garage and fitted it.

Well at 50% off as you say rude not to.

phil *biggrin*

DT sells a one-way check valve for 17 quid or thereabouts. It may not have the right thread, but if you're prepared to hack it about a bit, it can be made to work. One of my local lads has bought it and installed it in the line for his Apollo and it works very well. Looks neat too. Think he had to add a tiny spring into it as it is just a flap as standard. Spring from a biro or something... anyway, there's an alternative to spending a fortune if you're interested.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Having said "At £62 it seems rude not to...", i notice that RS list a number of likely contenders and i'm loathe to pay more than i have to just for the sake of it.

Can anyone (who understands what is needed!) advise/comment?

The RS part #'s are: -

384-7650

722-564

237-2458

283-8302

Dan J

All the RS one's you've listed appear to be designed for pneumatics, unless I'm mistaken. at least 2 of them are anyway. I'd be concerned that the rubber/nylon used for their construction may break down when asked to vent oily air.

The one my friend has out of DT is an alloy case, a little over an inch in outside diameter and uses a steel flap inside. He has to modify it to incorporate a spring (from a biro or somesuch) but it was cheap as chips and hasn't got anything that will break down over time.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours