Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting rear lights into wings

smartizan

Just in the process of building my 170 and am fitting the rear wings.  There is a largish hole needed for the connector to pass through the wing and I am thinking this hole is in the perfect place to collect large amounts of grot straight off the back wheels.

I am sure there is a method of patching this hole once the lights are fitted that has stood the test of time.  Anyone got a suggestion?

Many thanks

Nick

So you get grot over the back of the back light as well as the inside of the wing. Not really a problem. However if it bother you you can always remove the Econoseal connector (take out the yellow insert then use a jeweller's screwdriver to depress the latches and pull the individual connectors out), feed it through a much smaller hole with a grommet, then refix the connector.

Yes, you do get loads of crap through the hole and it's easy to seal as suggested above. 

Cut the hole to 33/34mm, remove the connector from the light. 

Buy two of these and punch a hole in the centre to be tight on the cable. (Cheap punch set easily available)

https://amzn.eu/d/hTP1nmQ

Feed over the cable, refit connector 

You can do all that off the car then fit grommet into the hole as you fit the light. 

Or don't drill the big hole, remove the connector, drill a hole to suit a smaller grommet etc. 

Finished my build late last year and had same thought. Purchased some grommets the same size as hole from amazon and cut a star in centre for wire to go through. Made a cut from grommet centre to edge, hooked over the wire and super glued up the edge. Fitted light and grommet, which seals hole up nicely.

Happy building

Andrew