Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help - SuperSport Upgrade Problems

Allen Payne

Hopefully someone out there can help me as Caterham's are either shut or not answering their phones today.

I've just starting installed a Supersport upgrade to 1.4K series engine and have installed a new loom, ECU & inlet manifold - I've yet to install the cams.

The engine starts fine, but dies as soon as the throttle is opened. It is also hunting up and down at idle.

I tried resetting the ECU and changing the vacuum pipes for the ECU but engine always dies as soon as the throttle is opened by any amount.

The only idea I've got is to change the throttle position sensor. Would a faulty one cause these symptoms?

Any other ideas?

Many Thanks

Allen

Sounds like an air leak in the inlet manifold to me, sounds like it is running too weak.

Not to clued up on fuel injection but isn't there an idle bypass valve which sidesteps the throttle flap when idling. I think it bleads air past the throttle flap which is normally closed when idling as you do not have your foot on the throttle. Without this no air would get to the engine and it would stall. You should check the electrical connects to this. It is normally close to where the throttle cable is attached. This may cause the hunting.

Now re-reading your email I note that opening the throttle causes it to stall so probably not the above. But it still sounds like an air leak. Check the manifold is seated OK (no air leaks) and the injectors are sealed OK.

Hope this helps.

Paul Gardner