Click here if you are having website access problems ×

EP90 for k-series - any particular type recommended?

JP

I'm finally rebuilding and need to replace oil in my std open diff, gearbox and I need to replace the gaiters on my steering rack and so the rack will need re-lubricating too as well as some gaiters on the old tin can type drive shafts joints.  For anyone familiar with old Land Rovers, there is an endless debate about EP90 types, specifically GL4 vs GL5 EP90 and possible additive damage to bushings.  Do I have to be as cautious with the 7 gearbox (5spd Type 9)?  Is there a recommended EP90 that I should use?

Am I also right in thinking that 5 litres should be enough for the diff, gbox and rack?

Cheers

Rack: grease EP LM2 type Castrol have renamed there range (again !!)  and a little EP 90

Driveshafts if yours are the early tincan type Ford joints these require Moly grease, the later Tripode joints have their own specific GKN lube

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/gkn-tripode-joint-grease-300-grams-gkn-ms9u025

Cant make a link for you as the linky button is having the night off !!

• Area Representative

EP 90 is available but it is a bit 'old school' though I run my Tracsport diff on Castrol B373 EP90 GL5. But that was a considered personal choice for the installation.

Any good 80w90 GL4 is OK for the Type 9 box & 80Ww90 GL5 for the Ford standard open diff.....even Halfords own!

Consider purchasing 2 Litres for both the Type 9 & diff as the box is about 1.5 Litres & the diff about 1.1 Litres.

Have ran two Sevens on 80w90 for a number of years without any problems.

• Area Representative

Halfords own was supplied by COMMA when I carried out research some years ago. As was their 5w50 'Racing Oil' now sadly discontinued.

I would imagine that Halfords own oil products are supplied by a reputable manufacturer.