Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering clamp issue

Gridgway

I want to change the steering clamp in my 90's LA Caterham because the flat bit is bent (people doing up the bolts without undoing the grub screw).  I got a new one, but it seems it's a new type with a wider flat bit with a taper...

52695753232_5f44c9954e_z.jpg

Now the problem is that the cutout in the top part of the column is only big enough for the narrower plate.

52696266601_3f17e6eeca_z.jpg

I don't really fancy cutting the cutaway away in situ, but unless I can find an old style clamp I can't see much choice.

Anyone got a non-bent old-style one going spare? Or an alternative fix?

Cheers Graham

Thanks Mic, that's interesting.  When you say a long time, how long a time is it? 

Then I could change the top half of the column.  I've tried to take the current one out, but it isn't doing it.  I think it might be to do with the steering lock, but even with the lock disengaged the top part won't pull out.

Hmmm

• Area Representative

Should be easy to file the slot in the column a little bigger but if you need to remove column it does indeed need to pull out the top rubber bush with it. A ratchet strap between the steering column and the roll cage will help pull it out. You may need to replace the bush when refitting. 

Right, mostly success, but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Using the ratchet strap technique (thanks #7) I managed to get the column out and using my dremel manged to make the cutout bigger to fit the new clamp.  Unfortunately the lower white plastic/polyurethane bush seemed to come half way up the tube housing.

So I fished it out and tried to put it back in from the bottom which was impossible with the lower part of the column in the way.  So much so that I now have two halves of the wite inner!  I absolutely hate taking the lower column out of the UJ at the rack end.  Or more specifically putting it back.  I need to find a better spreader.  Anyway, the lower column is out.  I was very distressed thinking Id have to take the rad off to get it out.  Then realised it comes out the top!

So I need a new white bushing which is also in the top rubber bush, so not sure if it is obtainable on its own.  Then I need to fit it at the bottom.  Having practiced taking it out and putting it in the top bush. it should be ok!

Once I have the steering sorted, I'll be putting it down on its wheels to come out of the garage for the first start of the rebuilt xflow!  I've changed such a lot including putting a facet fuel pump plus wiring in that I want the car outside for its first start in case of unwanted combustion!

Thanks all!

• Area Representative

I'm fairly sure rubber bush and white inner are sold as one  item. A bit of silicon spray or fairy liquid helps installation. Removing lower column from rack is no big deal. You've already performed a more difficult task. Follow instructions in build manual. If you don't have one I think there's a copy somewhere on this site. 

• Area Representative

I'm fairly sure rubber bush and white inner are sold as one  item. A bit of silicon spray or fairy liquid helps installation. Removing lower column from rack is no big deal. You've already performed a more difficult task. Follow instructions in build manual. If you don't have one I think there's a copy somewhere on this site. 

As I said earlier, brake cleaner makes a good lubricant though you need to be swift inserting the new bush. Main advantage is that it evaporates leaving no residue unlike silicone spray or fairy liquid.

I've used the same method on bicycle handle bar grips - you definitely don't want those coming adrift at the wrong moment! My dad used to use petrol on golf club grips but thats a bit pricey right now (and slightly more volatile!) 

I hadn't realised that there were two identical bushes.  I'm not planning on taking the bottom one out, just going to install the plastic inner taken from a new bush.  The bottom one is installed in the factory according to the build manual and I expect it'd be a bit of a pain to get out.  But I don't need to, so that's all good.

As a lubricant for rubber I use Armour All Protectant.  I just used some to install the new grommet for the speedo cable hole in the scuttle.  Works a treat!

Just to say it's all back together now with the new clamp fitted and the bottom nylon inner bush in place and the top bush refitted.  The steering wheel is straight (I suspect for the first time in its life) and that job is finished.

Car is ready for first start of rebuilt engine.  Lots of system checks to do, OP to build up and then maybe it'll start!