Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upper wishbone ball joint dust cover

john milner

• Area Representative

Some have an Allen key but it doesn't look like Allen key to me in your picture. I've used a ratchet strap between the joint and bottom wishbone to draw the two together. 

I have finally managed to get one nut off using two ratchet straps and a 4" G clamp pushing a 6mm bolt on the end of the ball joint bolt to stop it turning.

I was expecting a mix of Nyloc and cement on the nut thread but it has white cement on the end and the rest of the thread is very shiny which was most likely stripped of all junk when undone. The bolt is light rust looking. I have soaked both in oil.

I will try fitting a new gaitor in situ but if the rod end has to come off what is the lock nut size?

Hopefully I now have a system that will work for the other side.

Rod ends replaced. The new ball joints are much stiffer. The old set of tapers could easily be pushed around with my fingers. The new set takes quite a bit of effort. I think my difficulty in undoing the old nuts was mainly down to some corrosion on the exposed part of the threads and the looseness of the joint added to my woes. Greased the exposed part of the bolt to keep water and road junk at bay.

Tools required: 22mm combination spanner, two ratchet straps, 4" G clamp, 6mm bolt (inch long or less). Ratchet spanner would be nice but not essential.