Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Source of scuttle grommet

Gridgway

I'm looking for a new grommet for the scuttle on my xflow.  Its the one on the driver's side that the speedo cable goes through.  It's not a normal grommet as the OD is about 38mm (or imperial equivalent), but the inner hole is about 10mm, but stretchy to allow the speedo cable to go through.

Normal 38mm grommets have a huge hole in the middle relatively speaking!  I have tried Chris at Redline and looked on the Caterham parts website and done some googling.

All ideas appreciated (you can tell my build is nearly over when I'm trying to replace the slightly old, tired, misshapen grommet!

Thanks for the suggestions, I can try to poke a hole, but the problem is that the hole needs be big enough to let the knurled nut through, but then return to the size for the actual speedo cable.  I don't thinkk a blanking grommet with be rubbery enough as it were!

#3, thanks for the pointer, I'll follow that line of inquiry!

If I understand correctly:

1 Find a blind grommet with the correct external size.

2 Cut a cross at the centre that will just let the nut through. This makes four flaps.

3 Punch a hole through the centre that's a bit smaller than the cable.

4 Fit cable through grommet.

5 If you aren't happy with the closure of the flaps on the cable then join their edges with rubber cement, avoiding getting any on the cable.

Jonathan