Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leak from ali oil hose

Doc007

67DEA5CF-7F46-42E8-891B-272C30D5CBCB.thumb.jpeg.78a2e1f7095798bda0cd9336e9caa94b.jpeg Leaking oil c49AAE050-47D0-46E6-87F7-064C9ECA358C.thumb.jpeg.48072901c28ec4a1fa0f82c9f6648682.jpegI did an oil change on my Duratec/dry sumped car and, against my better judgement, removed the lower oil hoses in search of the missing oil. When I ran it up to temperature there was a small leak from the LEFT (as you're looking at it) hose union, so I tentatively nipped it up a bit tighter. But it still leaks. I'm very concerned about stripping the thread and wondered whether some PTFE tape could be used in this situation? And any advice about how to do this without spilling all the new oil? Which part is likely to strip threads first, hose or oil cooler?

I doubt that ptfe tape would help, the seal is on the conical surfaces IIRC. Over tightening could just cause more damage. 

Might be worth taking off again to make sure the surfaces are clean and seating properly. 

No shortcuts to catching the oil spilled and putting it back in after, I don't think.

Had this type of leak at the dry sump end of my duratec even after being advised not to remove the pipes due to the possibility of leakage upon refitting and the tiny amount of oil that can be removed by doing this is not worth the potential agg, but I still went ahead and did it. 

It leaked quite badly from one of the hoses,I then removed the new oil as best as I could,My fix was to not and try and over tighten them but to remove clean and then fidget the conical fittings in to a slightly different mating position mm's at most, I retightened it and bingo! I've had no oil leaks since June and yes I do check.  *beer* 

This advice of my personal experience maybe something or nothing but hope it helps.

Ralph

The cooler fitting will most likley be either JIC female on blue union and male conical on cooler there should not be a douty seal there. .

Douty seals are only used to seal flat faces, JIC and BSP are both conical you may have one under the male union as it seal to the cooler flat face but not between the mating conical pair.