Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Are these headlights legal? will they pass MOT?

graearea

just fitted some lowering brackets to my 7 and I can't help but think these are just never going to pass an MOT. they came on the car and had an MOT pass with them... Screenshot2023-01-28at12_46_25.thumb.png.84f40a10199fd78d45b22eeeddde4962.png

I've got them pointing down a little but just think they're likely crap and full beam is a joke. So I'm thinking of replacing them with some https://www.sevensandclassics.com/online-shop/p/led-headlights-standard but I suspect that they might be just as poor. anyone got experience of these lamps? are they fixable?

There are two issues;

1. The alignment-with this sort of headlight the spread tends to be quite broad but you should be able to get them aligned ok.

2. They are unlikely to be CE marked to mean they are legal. However, I've not heard anyone fail the MOT because of them and this is certainly my experience.

think I posted a bad link. this shows the dip and full beam.

Doc, when you say "should be able to get them aligned". is there anything beyond pointing them down and across I can do? I don't know if there's any focussing in the units themselves. they looked pretty sealed, but maybe I've missed something.

they're wired wrong aren't they! the square bit always showing is the fullbeam and shouldn't be on all the time.

the full beam is the dipped and vice-versa.....

time to go take the front of the car apart again.......

not super happy with the dealer and their MOT...

OK.

so I bought 2x https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384840977146

the spread looks like this (I suspect the weird spots will merge together):

Screenshot2023-02-05at18_10_33.thumb.jpeg.5831e9caf390d89548d92c687ecdbb33.jpeg  

I then removed the indicator pods so the front of the car now looks like this:

Screenshot2023-02-05at18_12_53.thumb.png.af4c0563cc46f209659f8bc165e16bf3.png

and the indicators seem pretty bright and noticable.

I _did_ need to replace the flasher relay which I got next day (arriving on a sunday) from amazon for 8 quid and now it doesn't blink really fast.

much better!