Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MPI to VVC wiring

Evening all , I have fitted a 1800 vvc engine in my 7, have removed a 1400, 2011 engine. I have modified the wiring loom as to the diagrams, on here link below to one I have used. just to confirm a couple of things? 

https://andrewrevill.co.uk/Downloads/Wiring%20Diagram%20-%20Engine%20Loom%20-%20Corrected%20(With%20MR).png

The 1400 engine cam sensor is replaced with the 'vvc cam position sensor'?

we also keep the crank position sensor/pick up?

Regards Tom

The VVC cam sensor does a different job to the 1400 one. The 1400 one is only there to report which of each pair of cylinders is on the firing stroke and it picks up off the exhaust cam. The VVC one additionally allows the ECU to measure the cam duration. It has two triggers arranged to pass the sensor just as the valves open and close. Because the variable timing on a VVC is only on the inlets, the VVC sensor is on one of the inlet cams. So yes, you need to use the VVC cam sensor.

And yes, you retain the crank sensor with no changes.

Thanks Revilla, 

do i also need to add the air temp intake sensor its a green sender on the VVC inlet manifold or isnt this needed? If so if that pin 44 and 18?

Regards Tom

The EU3 VVC engine should have a combined TMAP sensor (4-pin sensor on the front end of the plenum which contains both IAT and MAP sensors). Early VVCs used old EU2-style lower manifolds with a hole in No 4 runner for an IAT sensor. If you've got that it needs to be plugged, either with a screw-in insert or just by leaving the old sensor fitted but not connected. You should wire in the IAT sensor in the TMAP