Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Emerald K3 "adaptive" mode tuning

Nigel Riches

Hello fellow sevenistas, after a long and tedious time I am finally booked at a dyno in town, but that is 22 Feb, so I wondered if I might give the adaptive tuning a shot, as the the old dunger is not a happy driving experience, mostly self inflicted, and being a total dough brain with computers. Anyone here used this feature to iron out poor running? it idles ok, but put some throttle on and it kind of bogs and spits, coughing and spluttering, alright if the throttle and clutch are sort of balanced, but doesn't make for a decent shift off from stationary. 

I have read through some techy stuff on the web, but basically seems it must be within a range of such and such to enable this mode. Anyone here used this mode to achieve a decent running motor? 

Or else it languishes in the garage for another few weeks, which as this journey started in 2012, isn't a big deal.

Any info gratefully received, cheers, Nigel.  

If you are talking about an adaptive fuel trim via a wide band then they should only be set to work at a steady state condition. If they are working all the time and you have lean tip in then the lean spike will send your base fuel table rich eventually. You need to get the AE working properly to fill your lean hole, as that's what it sounds like. This wont really work properly unless you have got the base fuel right anyway as its based on a multiplier of the base table. Well usually anyway, I've not looked at the Emerald stuff as I've only worked on OE ECU's but I cant imagine its much different. You could have a look and whack a load of fuel in on a tip in to see if that helps.

You need a wideband lambda sensor, I borrowed one and mapped mine successfully (after much reading).  Getting a map that basically runs OK should not be hard so if you have one already from an engine with a spec similar to yours and it's running really badly that suggests problems elsewhere - like the TPS (which you can check with one of the screens of the Emerald software).

Thank you gentlemen, much appreciated, but Simons post is the sort of stuff I can't get in to mode with, Tony, I have a wide band lambda, an AEL which seems to get better reviews than the Innovate unit, and I also have what I call "the reference map" which was sent across from Emerald, not to be mucked about with, this is for this engine / ecu from the rollers at Emerald, so should be good to go, I'll get out and do another TPS alignment and have a recheck of airflow through the throttles, make sure they are all pulling the same.

In the meantime it's a case of bash on rewardless, thanks again, cheers Nigel.

Happy to report that after an e-mail to Emerald, they have sent me a copy of the map recorded at the rolling road session a few years back, and having installed it, carried out TPS alignment it is pretty much back to how it was way back.

Just got to get my head around populating the other map positions with the same map, I spent ages in the garage today, and it just doesn't click for me, never mind, hopefully the dyno driver will know the trick.

Cheers.

Nigel.