Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lifting up the back end of a 7 by the roll cage?

tompollock

I plan to do some rectification/renovation to the chassis powder coating at the back of my Caterham as soon as it warms up a bit. My ramps don't get the car high enough for this and I don't have either a pit or a lift.  

Can anyone see any problems lifting the back end up using a block and tackle attached to the competition rollover cage? (Adding supporting stands afterwards of course.)  Anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Tom.

• Leadership Team

Tom, did you fit the rollbar/cage yourself?  Are you sure it has the bolts fitted from below, above the rear shock absorbers?

I ask this because I've owned two Sevens and neither had these bolts fitted when I bought them. One had an FIA bar and was built as a racecar, the other had a full cage and had been used in competition. You'd never actually know without removing the shocks.

Some people struggle getting the bolts in and give up, if this has happened with yours I'd certainly not recommend hanging the rear of the car on the cage or bar.

Stu.

Thanks for the replies, especially about the mounting bolts.

>Are you sure it has the bolts fitted from below, above the rear shock absorbers?<

The rollcage came fitted but I will definitely check on the bolts before attempting to hoick the car up by the cage and get underneath!

Tom.