Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Indicator warning light dimly lit/flickers when side-lights or headlights are on

gin-fizz-whizz

Took the car out for a short run today (2001 K-Series Supersport).  Not been run in about 3 weeks.

Noticed the green indicator warning light (middle of row of 3 at the bottom of the tacho) came on as soon as I activated the headlight rocker switch.  Does this for either the side or headlight on position. The green light is about 30-50% of illumination and flickers slightly.

Indicators themselves, hazards, all lights and switches seem to be working fine; even the rear fog and reversing light. No failed bulbs. Have briefly checked connections plus given everything on the dash and fusebox a wiggle.

Smacks of a bad earth but where to start?

I'd start by pulling all of the bulbs one at a time while the relevant circuit is live to see if the effect goes away. And if that doesn't reveal anything then doing the same again but disconnecting bulbholders.

Then when the offending circuit has been found investigating it for a bad earth

Have you got a multimeter and would you like the wiring diagrams for your Seven?

Jonathan

PS: Andrew Revill (Revilla) once explained a similar fault but I can't find the thread. IIRC it was caused by a bad earth, as you suggest, and the electrons finding a route to earth through another circuit.