Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Changing gearbox oil - Mazda 5 speed (video)

Aerial_stu

Helpful video -- thanks for posting.

I have little knowledge of the Mazda box, but don't you need to remove the secondary drain plug as well, in order to get the remaining oil out?  Also, doesn't the turret under the gear-lever require checking/topping-up separately?

JV

I changed mine a week ago. I really like the Mazda box but it is a bit 'notchy' compared to the Type 9. People have reported good improvements changing to MTL. I won't know until Spring.
Also, I wondered if the earlier ones have GL5 in them. Photo from my owner's manual.

A88870F6-8CB4-4E87-8DDE-9AB84FC9492D.thumb.jpeg.2209405dbe2dc928e64fab73bf6556dd.jpeg

DO NOT remove the other bolt/plug on the side. You will grenade your transmission - you will need to pull the box and have it reassembled.

The turret oil doesn't need frequent refreshing. It is separate from the main fluid and doesn't degrade rapidly. I think most only do it when rebuilding the transmission.

I'm trying to increase my understanding of CC's Mazda 5-speed:

Mazda5-speedgearbox.jpg.2f96660497bc596040e57621b90dbc0d.jpg

I take it that Section A is Mazda and Section B is Caterham?  In which case, presumably the Mazda version would have a one-piece bellhousing that attaches to "A", whereas CC has developed its own "B" so that the same gearbox could be used with different CC-designed bellhousings to suit different engines?

Also, I take it that the hex bolt (purple arrow) is the one that must not be touched for fear of messing up the internals?  If so, what does it actually do?

JV