Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wipers problem

Graham Hutton

I wonder if any of you could offer some advice. My wipers won't work! All fuses are intact and the washers squirt OK which I understand are on the same fuse. The wipers did work but I ran them across the dry screen whilst checking the length of a new blade and after 2 wipes they stopped.

Is there a relay of some description somewhere that I am missing, maybe a fuse in the wiper motor itself or is it likely that the motor just got overloaded and expired? The car is only 2 years old.

Any advice appreciated as I'd like to contort my 6'3" frame upside down in the footwell for the minimum amount of time to fix it. Who needs yoga!

It's a 2 year old 310R SV. I have the all the wiring diagrams and a multimeter but not spent much time fault finding yet. I'd be surprised if it was the switch given they stopped working whilst running. I will nonethless check it out. If it isn't the switch, isn't the fuse and all the cabling to the motor seems OK then I can't think what else it could be other than the motor itself??

"Do they have an intermittent feature. On my '98 car you flick the wiper switch on-off-on in quick succession to get intermittent.

In a particularly heavy downpour, and unaware of this feature I was swearing alot. Ignition off and it resets."

More please, Ian: Did that fail in the downpour by the wipers not working at all until you had cycled the ignition?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: This "feature" caused an interesting diversion for a few hours during my build... trying to work out why the wipers were on while the switch was OFF.