Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chip to replace mems1.9 for 1.6 K serie

Robert OSELLO

Did anybody heard about a swiss company named Digital-Motors, whose business is to provide chips to upgrade existing engine management.

http:\www.digital-motors.com

They claim to have a chip for S7 1.6 K Serie, which will increase power around 22CV and torque about 20%, at 300rpm less than the factory release. It fits in the car within 15mn, without any knowledge and prerequisites.

Pricing is very attractive, so it surprise me a little bit.

May be Swiss Low Flyers have some idea about this upgrade?

Robert.

Well, it seems no serious feedback will be available right now. I share the same feeling as Mick. Chris, I don't feel good beeing the first one to try this upgrade. I'll stay tuned and probably go back to the Caterham Supersport upgrade.

All the best (S7s) to all of you during this new century,

Robert.

Robert.

You should have been braver a few months ago by buying 'Rover'(the whole outfit!) for 11 UKP's and then getting the research dept. to sort it!!!!!

I tend to agree with the 'nothing is for nothing' approach but then there are exceptions where you (no, they) get something for nothing...... tax man, my ex-wife etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that the new Lotus Elise powered by the 1.8K has now 4 BHP more ( 122 BHP)by using a Lotus engine management replacing the Rover. This probably gives a good order of magnitude for this type of optimization. Question is what would be the price to pay for such a modest power increase?

Pierre

The Lotus ECU will just have plumped up the part throttle fuelling. This will give better immediate response to the throttle and worse fuel economy. If the peak power has changed it will be in correcting a fuelling fault in the original MEMS.

The sorts of things that give the MEMS a problem are fundamental installation differences such as exhaust configuration which mean that the engine gets to breath a bit deeper at various rpm. If the fuelling isn't adjusted to match, the mixture will go lean and the power curve will be a bit disappointing.

The problem with an "honest guvnor" bolt on chip is you have no ability to audit its activity. It might be a placebo. I have found the use of the Emerald M3D programmable ECU to be a liberation and an education.