Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crossflow gearbox mount

Gridgway

I am very close to putting the xflow engine and box back into my LA 7 (a year after I took it out!).  Unbolting the gearbox mount from the chassis crossmember when I took it out was a right pain.  Getting to the top of the bolts was very hard istr.

Is there a knack to this?  I assume having the gearbox mount attached to the box is the only way I can see to do it (rather than bolting to the chassis first).

And I didn't take a pic, but I assume the bolts go in from underneath to leave the least amount protruding under the car?

Cheers

Graham

I use Kayfast or Spalding Fasteners for bolts etc. Both do HT 5/16 x 1 3/4" UNF socket caps Kayfast in HT (buy from them on ebay for small quants) and Spalding Fasteners in s/steel. I've always used hex head on my '89 chassis and fitted the mount before putting the box in (as per manual) without a problem. I just put a couple of washers into the socket to space the 12 x 25mm bolt up in the socket when feeding it in and use a 12-point socket with minimal chamfer on the points. Doing it this way also makes the final lowering in of the engine in easier as you've got a dead stop of the box once you've dropped the tail into the mount.

Am I missing something here?
I just tack welded 2 M8 x 15mm set screws to the mount from the top.  This allows me to push gearbox & engine back until they locate and then put nylocs + washers on and tighten after I have located & tightened engine mounts.