Click here if you are having website access problems ×

List of Parts needed to Swop Ford Xflow Engine to Lotus Twin Cam Engine

Nico506

• Area Representative

Hi All 

Happy New Year 

Does anyone have any build notes/photos list of parts along with key issues to note when swapping engine over from a Ford Xflow to a Lotus Twin Cam - it appears fairly straightforward but before i tear it apart - it would be useful to have some notes,photos  or details of the key areas to note/watch out for. My Seven is a S3 model built circa 2000.

Thanks in advance for information 

Regards 

Pistons, cylinder head, valves, valve springs and retainers, camshafts, cam followers, tappet shims, cam sprockets, timing chain and tensioner, front cover, water pump, exhaust manifold, spacer for front cover (the Crossflow block is taller than the Twincam one), gaskets, cam cover, oil filler cap, plug leads, possibly spark plugs depending on state of tune, block to head breather, assorted studs and fasteners.

There will be other parts that I've forgotten, but these are the basics for the job. This list assumes the engine is wet sump.

Why are you contemplating this? Unless you go for an all-steel engine with forged pistons the Crossflow can be tuned to pretty much the same level of performance. If it's for the aesthetics of the Twincam, then that is purely a personal choice, but bear in mind that it makes no financial sense, although being a Seven, you could say the same for the whole car.

I was (am) confused by the question as it's one thing taking out an xflow and putting in a twinc.  But building a twinc from an existing xflow is very strange.

For my xflow 7, I contemplated how to transform it to a twinc when I wanted more power, but only thought about it for about 15 secs before discarding the idea.  I spent a bit longer looking for twincs to buy and then gave in and had my 1600 xflow reworked with more of everything to hopefully about 150bhp if I ever manage to get the motor back in and running!