Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mazda gearbox oil change

Graham Hutton

I've never changed any gearbox oil on any car I've owned and so would really appreciate any advice you all have for doing so on my 310R with the mazda 5 speed gearbox. I have a fully carpetted tunnel so would prefer to do it all from underneath if I can. Is it as simple as removing the plug on the side, sucking it out with a syringe and then squirting some clean stuff back in until it reaches the height of the plug? I guess the same would apply to the diff if I didn't want to remove the boot floor?

Any advice appreciated although I am sure many of you may be disgusted by my oversimplification here!!

No need to suck out - there's a drain plug on the bottom. Most of the noise you're hearing is the diff, not the trans, so fluid won't change anything there. One of the local spec miata gurus here in California who has rebuilt countless MX5 transmissions swears by Swepco 201 for syncro life, so that's what I'm using. It's a dino oil so needs more frequent changes presumably. I'm ok with that.

Thanks very much everyone! Easier than I thought. I've never really heard of people replacing the oil in the turret but clearly that is important too so I'll do the lot. The MX5 video is very helpful and I am going to use something like the swepco or redline oil because the Motul stuff is permananetly on back order it seems :-)

Really appreciate the advice everyone.

I recently changed my gearbox oil to Refline MTL, and the diff oil to Road and Race transmissions LS-90 diff oil which was formulated specifically to quiet down the noisey sintered plate diff, I have not driven the car yet to try it though! 

and as above, I did it all from under the car with gearbox, it's very easy. 

I did email RRT confirming the statement on their site that recommended MTL for the Mazda gearbox. they actually responded saying they now recommend Redline MT-LV (a newer and lighter oil than MTL) I received the email after I had bought MTL, so that's what went in the box, but RRT's recommendation is now MT-LV, I might give it a try when I next change gearbox oil.

The specsheet for the 201 oil shows it to be a GL5 spec which is not recommended for this gearbox, GL4 is, the former has additives to aid final drives the downside is this reduces friction between the syncro ring and the hub, slowing the change which encourages the driver to increase the pressure for faster shifts - result broken rings....

• Area Representative

As far as I know a GL5 spec oil is for axles so would not be best for gearboxes?

GL4 spec oil has generally always been the go to for gear boxes.

As noted below GL6 spec is now redundant but can still be purchased (Castrol B373 SAE 90 LSD GL6) but down graded to GL5. 

API Gear Oil Specifications

SpecStatusDescription
GL-1ActiveThe designation API GL-1 denotes lubricants intended for manual transmissions operating under such mild conditions that straight petroleum or refined petroleum oil may be used satisfactorily. Oxidation and rust inhibitors, defoamers, and pour depressants may be added to improve the characteristics of these lubricants. Friction modifiers and extreme pressure additives shall not be used.
GL-2InactiveThe designation API GL-2 denotes lubricants intended for automotive worm-gear axles operating under such conditions of load, temperature, and sliding velocities that lubricants satisfactory for API GL-1 service will not suffice.
GL-3InactiveThe designation API GL-3 denotes lubricants intended for manual transmissions operating under moderate to severe conditions and spiral-bevel axles operating under mild to moderate conditions of speed and load. These service conditions require a lubricant having load-carrying capacities exceeding those satisfying API GL-1 service but below the requirements of lubricants satisfying API GL-4 service.
GL-4ActiveThe designation API GL-4 denotes lubricants intended for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speed and load or axles with hypoid (see note)gears operating under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual transmission and transaxle applications where MT-1 lubricants are unsuitable. The manufacturer's specific lubricant quality recommendations should be followed.
GL-5ActiveThe designation API GL-5 denotes lubricants intended for gears, particularly hypoid (see note) gears, in axles operating under various combinations of high-speed/shock load and low-speed/high-torque conditions.
GL-6InactiveThe designation API GL-6 denotes lubricants intended for gears designed with a very high pinion offset. Such designs typically require protection from gear scoring in excess of that provided by API GL-5 gear oils.
MT-1ActiveThe designation API MT-1 denotes lubricants intended for non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy-duty trucks. Lubricants meeting the requirements of API MT-1 service provide protection against the combination of thermal degradation, component wear, and oil-seal deterioration, which is not provided by lubricants in current use meeting only the requirements of API GL-1, 4, or 5.

You can download API's Publication 1560 on gear oils for more detailed information.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Will be changing the oil in mine with MX5 gearbox. I have seen the youtube vid further up where the guy removes the gear lever and sucks out the oil surrounding it in the turret and then replacing with clean oil as well as a normal gearbox oil change. Is this necessary. Car is 3yrs old and only done 12000mls so turret oil may be ok???