Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upper coolant hose rubbing against intake plenum

MattB

7CBCB848-BE6F-44C5-A47D-1726D424875A.jpeg.435b5565f80abe139e4791fd839e8472.jpeg

Just noticed that the upper coolant hose on my 420 was rubbing against the sharp edge of the intake plenum, and was happily working its way towards a coolant leak.

I added a second tie wrap to the hose to keep it away from the plenum, and filed the edge of the plenum to a smooth curve in case the hose does move.

This is the second build fault that I've found trying to cut through the top hose (the car was built by CC at the end of 2021), and it's even more annoying as the car was with CC a couple of months ago for a radiator replacement.

If you have a new(ish) build from CC I'd recommend having a good look at the top hose ....

MattB

I guess that's the sort of issue that comes up when you redesign the rad but leave the top hose unchanged from the earlier design that it was made for? Not really a build fault, it just doesn't fit properly. 

If you look on the New Member with 420R thread in ChitChat you'll see that MTW has had the same concern and has padded the hose and tied it back in the same area. It's shown in the posts where he discusses the Radtec Rad he's just fitted after several failures of the originals.