Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Superlight

Ian Lummis

Hi Peter!

Yes, you're right!

The trip was originally planned for 2020, but didn't happen for obvious reasons. It was worth the wait though & we had a fantastic drive through the Netherlands, Germany & Switzerland & back through France & Belgium. 

The Caterham took it all in it's stride, with just a couple of minor glitches to liven things up.

I enjoyed it so much I'm thinking of venturing across the channel again next year... *biggrin*

I find noise cancelling headphones help a lot! 

The only problems I had were a non-functioning fuel gauge (caused by a loose connection at the back of the gauge itself) & a rather alarming rattle from the rear of the car that turned out to be a loose brake calliper bolt causing the pads to rattle about.

That one could have been nasty, but luckily I quickly realised that it was probably brake related when I noticed the rattle stopped when I lightly rested my foot on the pedal whilst traversing rutted bits of tarmac.

There was also some random, rapid clicking from a relay under the dash. I suspect it was caused by moisture in the flasher unit after a couple of days of rain. It went away when the sun reappeared. 

I thought it behaved itself pretty well, given I covered about 2800 miles on the trip.