Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

LSD upgrade advice

Griff

I gather there are a couple of types of LSD to suit De Dion axles but what are their relative merits? I'm considering an upgrade for track days, having found the inside wheel too easily breaks traction on exiting tight corners in lower gears. I want to avoid losing driveability on the road at the total expense of performance, but hope to find a reasonable compromise. Also interested in a good second hand LSD if anyone has one to sell.

Mike

email me your details and i will look into this more for you, try and find out what ratio your diff is at the moment, as i know a company which keeps some secondhand LSD's and CWP'sand chrges very low labour rates but still offers an excellent service!!!

very proud new seven owner/builder

Simon,

you could be a very popular bloke, I'd be interested in that info also if you wouldn't mind emailing me. Mine's a 3.9 diff.

Cheers

Tom

Edited by - tom7 on 4 Apr 2003 19:50:30

The big isse is power. If you have less than 200bhp then an AP Suretrak works very well. If you have high power, big wide rear tyres and a penchant for launching the car off the kerbs under full power then a ZF plate type diff is the answer. If you get a Zf then you *must* take it to Phil Stewart to get it adjusted to be suitable for the mass of a Seven rather than a hulking Sierra.

Peter,

The engine puts out 210bhp, I run 205/60x13 A032Rs on the rear and yes I do like getting the power down fast out of bends! On the issue of diff ratio, presently running a 3.62 but rarely get out of 5th (4th even at Llandow) so was thinking of a 3.9 diff at the expense of some top end speed. Where do I find Phil Stewart? Sorry, still fairly new to this game but learning fast.

Cheers,

Mike