Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weight of bare chassis

JP

I'm planning ahead for the initial rebuild once the chassis comes back from Arch. I think it would be quite helpful to have the chassis up on a couple of trestles for the initial stage of re-plumbing the chassis and getting the wiring back in.  Could anyone help with the weight of the chassis as it would arrive from Caterham in kit form please?  Need to make sure I find trestles that will adequately support it...

Bearing in mind the engine and transmission are about 130kg of the total 550 odd kg of the finished item then any trestle that can manage 200kg each is plenty. Its light enough to lift by hand, one end at a time, onto normal height ones. You wont be lifting it off by hand or putting the engine and transmission in while up there so they will be plenty good enough.

I have something that look like these and have done a couple of builds happily.

A lot of people just use 3 axle stands at full height and don't bother with trestles at all.

#4 - I will.  This rebuild is largely being done on my driveway, next to a car into which I really do not want the 7 to fall from axle stands! 

When it comes back from Arch my plan is to pop it on some trestles in the back garden upside down and get the fuel hoses, brake lines and some wiring back in.  Then I'll take it out to the driveway and get the front and rear running gear on asap. Then I'll be using wheel ramps rather than just axle stands for support when doing stuff form underneath.

the fuel and brake lines and harness can easily be fitted with the chassis the right way up as there is full access into the tunnel with the top off 

Sure you have but just in case please replace all rubber fuel hose with R14 hose something like Gates Barricade - don't be tempted by cheaper unbranded options they crack and failed. Use 'O' clips to secure to the rigid fuel line etc 

Thanks - I haven't got the rigid fuel line out yet because of the 90 degree bend at the rear to the rear bulkhead mounted fuel filter.  I assume that it should be easy to remove once the diff is out...hoping to be able to pull it out towards the rear and wiggle it downward to come out beneath the rear skin...

• Leadership Team

55kg for a bare standard chassis rings a bell, although I suspect that's before panelling so 70-75kg panelled and painted? 

At the factory tours earlier this year, members were certainly surprised how easy it was to pick up an end of a chassis with just one hand!