Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting new tunnel cover carpet

Gridgway

The carpet that came out was glued at the front with a significant amount of glue!  It's taking a lot of brake cleaner to get it off.

The problem with velcro is that it will almost certainly come unstuck from the carpet over time.  In my experience anyway.

I'd forgotten about copydex!  I think contact adhesive is easier as it doesn't need to be held in placve whilst it dries.

The tunnel carpet needs to be removable to some degree when you need to get the engine out.  You need to disconnect the two gearlevers in the live axle crossflow car.  I assumed that the poppers allow the rear to be lifted to get to it.  You need to lift the carpet off the gear lever in ther car and take the panel off to get access.

That's why I was interested in whether anyone had direct experience to advise.

Interesting, when I replaced my carpet in 2007 as part of the rebuild I found out was secured by sufficient number of press studs which made removal a cinch. During the rebuild process once the car had been repanelled I decided to do the same.

Let's just say fitting the popper bases in the footwells was a challenge but made easier with an air riviter.

Just as an aside here, if I was fitting new carpets in an early chassis I would cut them to clear the floor panels, if there is any gearbox leakage (as if), it will seep into the footwells, and the carpet acts as blotting paper, and subsequently smears this on your trousers, how do I know this stuff? Personally I am not to concerned about this, but the handbrake grizzles much.

I ditched the carpets for several years, but down here in NZ the summer heat and the engine heat can be very uncomfortable on the legs.

Have fun. Nigel.

#9 noted Nigel and a very good point!

I think it makes sense to get the engine and box back in first then I can fit the carpet and it be done.  Mind you I might put a couple of additional popper bases in further forward before then whilst I can see I'm not going to drill through any important bits!

It looks like L107 is only available in 1L or 5L cans, so that seems a bit excessive.  I am still worried that stick on velcro will come off the tunnel (even if I sew the carpet side) with repeated heating/cooling.  So I may just go for some moderate use of contact adhesive.