Click here if you are having website access problems ×

reversing light switch - Ford Crossflow

Gridgway

I have been undoing some mods that the PO did to my xflow to try and make the reversing lights work.  I have worked out that the reversing light switch makes an intermittent connection (which is the actual fault).  The connection at the end is loose.  So I am looking for a replacement and am failing.  I am unsure of the designation of my 4 speed box, I think it's a type E.  Here is what the old switch looks like:

52447971237_7957297570_c.jpg

I bought one from ebay which looked the same, but it's the wrong size, as described in the description of this listing...

ebay one

Burton has this one Burton one which is the right thread, but wrong connection.  It says it can be used with the appropriate changes to the wiring.  I've found the right one of the Burton website but it's NLA.

On the basis I haven't yet managed to find the right size switch with the right connection, does anyone know what connection that is so I can try and make that work with a suitable earth wire?

Or anyone know where to get the correct switch?  Thanks and sorry for the long tale!  Graham

My first choice suppliers would be Redline and Burton Power.

You should be able to make that switch with two terminals work by connecting the existing wire to the lamp to one terminal and a new wire to a good earth to the other terminal. (On switches with a single terminal the connection to earth is made through the body of the switch.)

Jonathan

When I built my seven in 1998 with Ford 5 speed, they were changing over the switch from the single press stud connector to double bullit connector. The main change was to add a short earth wire with large O ring connector bolted between the switch and gearbox and a female right angle bullit connector with insulated cover, going onto the switch.

The purpose of the upgrade was to iradicate earthing issues when reverse was selected (live goes through the bulb and back to the switch which earths when reverse selected)

I understand that Ford used common parts across their gearboxes and the switch is likely to be universal.

If you get really stuck finding connectors and insulators, you could try MES (Motorcycle Electrical Services) in Warwick on 01926 499756, who make looms for CC.  I've always found them very helpful, and who knows, maybe they'd send you a couple of connectors gratis!

This is part of their drawing for a Sigma chassis loom (2013).  The switch is the standard Type 9 2-pole.

Reversingswitchconnectors_MES_arrowed.jpg.25fe73db57a97259b596fe62a05a2ab7.jpg

JV

I'd perhaps call MES first - they may sell you some or recommend a source. Failing that, I'd buy the others - they'll be a nice tight fit! :-0

When I remove the engine & box (dedion, K series & 6 speed) I now remove the switch first as those pins are very easy to knock off manoeuvring a 90kg lump out of the chassis!