Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Upgrading to an LSD

JP

I'm considering various handling upgrades as part of my 1999 1.6KSS widetrack rebuild.  It's a road and track day car.  Thinking about going up to an LSD from a std diff.  2 Questions please:

1. Which diffs are to be recommended?  I see there is a Quaiffe ATB on the For Sale page at the moment and I do fancy something that is maintenance free.

2. Is the upgrade a simple DIY job?  Does you "just" open the standard diff case and replace the internals?

Cheers

James

There are various opposing (strong) opinions on ATB Vs plate diffs.

If you want safe fit and forget low maintenance then go with ATB, if you want hardcore trackday performance, with occasional refresh, then go with the SPC plate diff. If you want the same trackday performance with annual maintenance then its Titan. Many plate diffs chunter when manoeuvring slowly. ATB is silent!

Regarding DIY install, there are manuals on the internet that detail what needs to be done. I just pay the £350ish to an expert to set it up.

One word of warning with the ATB, if you lift and drop a wheel when pressing on, it has been known to snap a driveshaft (reading previous posts rather than personal experience) .

My ATB has been in for 10 years + without issue or single side wheelspin!

My ATB has been in for 10 years + without issue or single side wheelspin!

Really...?

since the ATB can never offer anywhere near full lock up maybe only in the region of 10%better than an open differential.

I don't see the point in investing several hundreds of pounds for a very minimal improvement when for slightly more you can get a significant improvement in performance by using a plate LSD, please don't fall for the low maintainance marketing as unless your using the hopeless Titan it is simply not an issue, The Tracsport and ZF versions will provide thousands of trouble free miles without needs for anything more than an oil change.

Thats the one,

give Steve a call if you want chapter and verse.... 

Simply superb in operation having tried several options over the years it is way way better than even a correctly built ZF, silent subtle in operation with very smooth transition.

I run the 30/30 ramp options with the low preload circa 20lb/ft which Steve offers for a 7.